I want to start with this picture of the tape itself since I wrote that line on the side. (The tip-off here: the mix is "to me." Thanks, close-reading skills!) I want to start with that because after Mike's and Jason's mixes, you might be under the mis-apprehension that all my friends had nice hand-writing. Well, I didn't.
Also, I never thought I'd be blogging obsessively about these mixes, so I never wrote down things like dates or thoughts at the time. If only I kept up my diary! But no, my inconsistent diaries from high school were mostly focused on girls. Hey, maybe I'll run a series of autobiographical pieces on my diaries in the future!
(Ugh, that sounds terrible.)
- Screeching Weasel - Get Off My Back
- - / First Day of Summer
- - / You'll Be in my Dreams
- Clockwise - Keep it Together
- Texas is the Reason - Back and to the Left
- Lifetime - Irony is for Suckers
- - / Boy's No Good
- Sleepasaurus - Beautiful Girl
- - / Ten Again
- J. Church - Simple Gesture
- - / Parts Unknown
- Propagandhi - Apparently I'm a PC Fascist
- - / (Liquid) Meat is Still Murder
- Less Than Jake - Happy Man
- - / 9th @ Pine
- Warzone - The Sound of Revolution
- Clockwise - She was
- No Redeeming Social Value - Old E
- - / Your Boyfriend
- Chisel - It's Alright...
- Irony of Lightfoot - Sounds Like a Plan
- Ignite - Embrace
- - / Holding On
- By the Grace of God - November's Lie
- - / Fissures
- Sick of it All - Good Looking Out
- - / Us vs. Them
- Warzone - Free at Last
- Lickety Split - Purge
- New Bomb Turks - Professional Againster
- Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Uptown Girl
- Serpico - Bullet Theory
- Promise Ring - Picture Postcard
- Sleepasaurus - April Showers
- Guilt - Untitled
- Lifetime - The Gym Is...
- Chain of Strength - True Til Death
Amazing how many songs you can fit on one cassette. Again, Mike, Jason, and Nick show some overlap in bands; and also some diversity in music genres. Well, I mean, if Lifetime and New Bomb Turks can be considered to be pretty far apart.
Also, let's take a moment to bask in the warm glowing warming glow of Propagandhi's song titles. We've seen "Ska Sucks" and "The Only Good Fascist is a Very Dead Fascist"; and here we've got "Apparently I'm a PC Fascist" and '"(Liquid) Meat is Still Murder," which, what does that even mean? I'm also a big fan of their other song (titles), like "Resisting Tyrannical Government" and "And We Thought Nation States Were a Bad Idea." I don't even know those songs, but geez, what titles those Canadian punks thought of.
I also want to point out Lifetime's song "The Gym is Neutral Territory," which is a clear reference to West Side Story, not my favorite musical at the time. (I fell in love with West Side Story later, when I was in college and in France.) But when I was a senior and the literary editor of the literary magazine (under the managing editorship of... Jason Kohn), Mike Pace wrote a story (or was it an auto-biographical piece for our non-fiction magazine?) with that as the title. I balked at the obvious reference to Lifetime's song, but since the story was related to the gym, I came around.
So now the question is, do I still have copies of those magazines?